Using SafeLinx Server logs
The SafeLinx Server stores troubleshooting information in message, account, and trace logs.
SafeLinx Server logs are stored in files or, in the case of accounting and billing information, a relational database or a file. All SafeLinx Server logs stored in files are viewed by using the SafeLinx Administrator. Each log is viewable separately. An administrator can view logs only if the administrator ID has an additional access enabled by an ACL profile. The ACL profile needs at least Read-only access to the SafeLinx Server.
The log files and their default file names are:
- Stores messages for a single SafeLinx Server. The default file is wg.log. This file is in /var/adm/ on AIX or Linux. On Windows, this file is in C:\Program Files\HCL\SafeLinx Server\SafeLinx Server\logs\.
- Stores account records, such as for an MNI or SMS client. The account log shows what activity is
occurring on the SafeLinx Server. The account log shows the number of packets transferred outbound
from the SafeLinx Server and inbound from the mobile device. When configured to use a file, the
default file is wg.acct. This file is in /var/adm/ on AIX or Linux. On Windows, this file is in
C:\Program Files\HCL\SafeLinx Server\logs\.
For more information, see Account log
- All packet data transmitted to and received from a SafeLinx Client can be stored in the mobile access services trace file. The default file name is wg.trace. This file is in /var/adm/ on AIX or Linux. On Windows, this file is in C:\Program Files\HCL\SafeLinx Server\logs\.
The trace log contains a trace of all packet data for SafeLinx Clients that have the trace turned on. The message log can be filtered to contain specific levels of logging information or specific devices or user IDs.
Maintain your message, account, and trace logs regularly. Your business needs dictate whether you keep historical records in addition to how often you start new records. For database records, this process means archiving and purging records. To purge accounting and billing records, use the -p parameter with the wg_acct command. For more information, see Account log After purging records, you can reclaim disk space.
For log files, reset (rename the old files and begin new ones) them regularly using SafeLinx Administrator:
- Double-click the SafeLinx Server in the Resources tab.
- Right-click the SafeLinx Server in the Resources pane and select Reset files.
- Choose whether to reset all files or individual files.
Alternatively, you can use the SafeLinx Server command line to reset all log files. Enter chwg -r acct | trace | log | all
If message, account, or trace information is not stored in a file, as expected, there might not be sufficient storage available in the file system.
To check the file system on AIX, enter: df
The command produces the following output:
Check the /var file system. If it is full, make space available to allow the SafeLinx Server to write to the log file.
If necessary, compress or back up the old files before deleting them. If active processes open the files, terminate the processes to release the files. For example, if you are using the tail command to display the log file, terminate the tail process before you work with the file.