Defining broadcast groups
A broadcast group specifies a collection of users or mobile network connections (MNCs) to which you can send a broadcast message. You use the SafeLinx Administrator to define a broadcast group. Broadcast groups are used with mobile access services only.
- To define a broadcast group:
- Choose the organizational unit (OU) in which you want to create the broadcast group.
- On the Resources page, right-click that OU and select . You can define a broadcast group for a network with its own broadcast function, such as Motorola PMR. Or you can create your own group by specifying users and MNCs.
- After you create a broadcast group, you can change its
- Double-click Group in the Resources page to display a list of existing groups.
- Right-click a group, and then click Properties.
- Modify information on each page as needed.
- Click OK or Apply.
- You can also configure mobile access services to broadcast
user datagram protocol (UDP) on a specific port. This function takes
advantage of a broadcast interface, if available, or sends messages
to each user individually. To configure UDP broadcast:
- Edit the mobile access services properties. On the Broadcast page, enable the Use UDP-interface of broadcast service box.
- In the UDP port to listen on, specify the port number.
- The data traffic on the port must have a specific format:
- The data format requires 0 (zero) or more target distinguished names (by using the full DN) and text, in information element format. The DNs can be listed users or defined broadcast groups.
- The information element consists of a 1-byte identifier (0x01 for a DN and 0x03 for data), 2 bytes of length information in network byte-order, followed by the data. The length indicator is the length of the data not including the information element header.
- When 0 (zero) DNs are included, the data is broadcast to all logged-in users.